It is a redundant statement that internet-based mailing services have become indispensable to the average person. With the advent of internet-based services and applications, the online market is at a boom and it doesn’t look like it is going to stagnate anytime soon. Nowadays, to avail of most online services, it is necessary to register yourself as a consumer of the service. Your identity on the online platform is not your full name, address, or any other personal information. For the company whose service you are availing, it is only the valid Gmail address you supply while registering for the service. It is not only used as a point of contact between the consumer and the service provider, but also as a means to identify you as a user of their service, whenever you log in Outlook.
In essence, it is quite an unpleasant thought then to want to delete an email address, as you would be partly wiping away your identity on the online platform. However, in many cases, it is often advisable to delete an email account that is overrun by spam email, infected by viruses, or any other plausible reason. In this discourse, we shall be looking into the process of deleting an Outlook email account.
Introduction to Outlook
‘Outlook’ is a web-based mailing service offered by the Microsoft Corporation, which has been integrated with protocols for contacts and schedule management. It was founded in 1996 and popularized as Hotmail, one of the first web-based email service providers. It was initially developed by entrepreneurs Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith. Microsoft acquired Hotmail a year later, in a deal worth 400 million dollars, and rebranded it as MSN Hotmail. Further alterations to the service name followed with it being branded Windows Live Hotmail, and finally, in 2012, they released a working version of the Outlook.com service as we know it.
Why you would need to Delete an Email Account
As stated above, an email address is an absolute necessity in not only conducting business and other related communications on this expansive online platform but also in undertaking a variety of day to day services. In this context, let’s understand the factors that force an individual to terminate a Yahoo account.
- Security breaches such as frequent hacking attempts may signify that the security protocol on your email is weak, and terminating it could be the best option, especially if it contains sensitive information.
- If the same email address is used to register for multiple services, it is often the case that the inbox will be clogged with numerous spam and promotional emails. If the account is expendable it may be best to delete it altogether.
- Once a person switches from one service provider to another, to avoid the hassle of jumping between email accounts, it may be best to discard the old account after backing up the messages, contacts, and other information.
Now that we understand the thought process behind the deletion of an account, let’s see how we can delete our Outlook email account.
How to Delete your Outlook Account
- Open the Outlook window.
- Locate the File option at the left corner of the screen.
- Click on the Account Settings drop-down list.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select the account you want to delete.
- Click on the Remove option.
- There will be a warning that all the downloaded and cached data on the computer will be deleted.
- Click on Yes in the prompt window to confirm the deletion.
You have successfully deleted your outlook account. Bookmark our website for more such helpful content in the future.